The Layer2 Related Content Web Part for SharePoint displays related content automatically based on content categorization using centrally managed enterprise metadata and search.
Content is king. Context is queen. Together, they rule the web. To make it as simple as possible for users to find the desired content on portals, typically "related content" is shown in the context of a given topic. As a result context dependent information, e.g. related products, responsible contacts, further news, related links and downloads can be better found by users and visitors.
Managed metadata in Microsoft SharePoint Server 2010 and 2013 enables editors to centrally define relationships between SharePoint items, documents, pages and users by simply categorizing or tagging it using enterprise taxonomies. This provides a very flexible way to automatically display related content via search. Compared to manual linking it makes it as easy as possible for editors to provide consistent context automatically at any time.
The Web Part is a new type of SharePoint applications, so called "search-driven" applications, that uses the advanced search features of Microsoft SharePoint 2010 and 2013 for content organization and presentation.
The Layer2 Related Content Web Part for SharePoint has the following features and benefits:
- Consistent linking of related content automatically during runtime: The SharePoint Related Content Web Part makes it very easy to ensure consistency of the complex linking network because all linking is done automatically during runtime, with respect to publishing timeframes, access rights etc.
- Completely category driven pages: As an option the web part allows to build completely category driven pages and sites.
- Easy to setup: The content can be created completely context driven or by setting fixed tags for the content to display.
- Flexible template-based output: The output is shown by XSLT templates that can be easily adapted. The output can be sorted by title, publishing date or type of information.
- Includes external data as well: You may also include any external data sources to tag and use with the SharePoint Knowledge Management and Social Networking features without any restrictions with the help of the Business Data List Connector for SharePoint.
- 100% SharePoint technology: Completely based on SharePoint 2010 / 2013 Enterprise Metadata Management API.
- Seemless integration: The Web Part works perfectly together with other SharePoint Knowledge Management Suite components.