Discussion Column is intended to organize conversation in the list itemwithout need to enable list versioning. Component allows entering richtext with formatting, images, tables, hyperlinks, etc.
Discussion is similar to an IM message system: many users are able to create rich-text messages, but there is no ability to modify previous messages. As IM, discussion control can show who and when has published post (configured in column settings).
It is possible to show all conversations in list view or just a hyperlink to "View Item" form. It is helpful when discussion has many items and page becomes congested.
- Organizing discussion without enabling list versioning
- Filtering of empty records
- Ability to show whole discussion history or only link to it in list view
- Show user name as a link to user profile page
It is possible to use standard SharePoint "Multiple lines of text" column with "Append Changes to Existing Text" option for organizing discussion, but:
- Versioning of a list has to be turned on
- New version is created each time items are edited
Even if you edit item, new record will be displayed in discussion history, whether it is empty or not.
ArtfulBits Discussion Column resolves these problems and avoids list versioning, also it does not append empty records to discussion history.