The SharePoint File Upload field type enables attaching a single file to a record (list item) while overcoming the issues related with out-of-the-box SharePoint file attachments:
- No control over the attached file type
- No control over the attached file size
- No way to restrict the number of file attachments
- No way to configure file attachments as mandatory
While using the out-of-the-box file attachments you can easily find yourself dealing with records that include a pile of irrelevant file attachments, or with missing file attachments. With the File Upload field type you have full control over the files that can or should be attached to SharePoint list items. Records integrity and consistency become much easier to implement.
The Business Need
Many business scenarios require attaching files to records in a controlled way, such as:
- Sales lead record (in Sales CRM solution)
A lead requires several file attachments that are a “must” in various stages of the lead’s lifecycle:
- Price Offer
- Project Management/Contract Management
A contract/project record may require attaching signed documents such as contract/agreement/SOW etc. We also may need to trigger a workflow once a specific file has been attached to the record.