The Muhimbi Workflow Power Pack for SharePoint allows custom C# orVB.NET code to be embedded in SharePoint Designer Workflows without the need to resort to complex Visual Studio based workflows, the development of bespoke Workflow Activities or long development cycles.
What does this mean for day-to-day SharePoint Designer Workflow development? When Microsoft released SharePoint 2007, they included a basic set of Workflow Actions and Conditions to allow basic comparison of values and simple tasks such as setting a field value or logging to the Workflow History. If you wanted to do anything else your options were limited to expensive third party workflow tools that would hopefully allow the functionality you are after, or writing your own solution in Visual Studio.
The Workflow Power Pack is feature-rich:
- Carry out tasks by comparing deeply nested XML data inside InfoPath forms.
- Create Actions that directly access SQL Databases or other common data sources.
- Make string, date and numerical operations simple (Finally!).
- Access any SharePoint functionality using the SharePoint Object Model.
- Send emails and include attachments.
- Create folders in the current SharePoint List or any other list regardless of Site Collection.
- Control security on individual List Items or entire Document Libraries.
- Invoke web services or any 1st or 3rd party assembly, for example our PDF Converter for SharePoint or URL Shortener for SharePoint.
Basically, if it exposes a .net interface, you can access it using the Workflow Power Pack.