Integrates nicely with MOSS 2007
SharePartXXL is a product that I will be recommending to clients – especially clients who require (or may ultimately need) the ability for automatic categorization based on a pluggable categorization system.
- Linked taxonomy allows centralized management; tags can be moved or renamed and will be updated immediately in content.
- Master categories list appears in a hierarchically sorted format (based on path) making it easy to add new categories to the taxonomy.
- Supports import and export of taxonomies via an XML format, making it easy to synchronize with a master taxonomy schema.
- Parent categories can (optionally) be auto-selected during tagging process making it easy to implement an exclusive filtering model.
- Clever implementation of tag pages as sites for these benefits: a) a REST-like resource hierarchy for tags, b) inclusion of tag indexes in search results, c) ability to seamlessly integrate with SharePoint’s existing Site-based navigation hierarchy and d) exposure of built-in features such as alerts and RSS for tags.
- Centralized tag page template allows a site owner to customize the presentation and organization of tag pages in one place and publish out to all tag pages via a simple GUI-driven process.
- In standard view mode, automatically exposes category list as a “Related Items” field showing content related via categories.
- When selecting categories or viewing a category-based tree view, the count of associated content is always displayed.
- Provides a built in Taxonomy Administration site which includes a number of useful tools for publishing, synchronizing and recalculating categories across sites as a means of ensuring content and categories are always up-to-date.
- Category indexes can be filtered by a particular node in the hierarchy.
- Built-in logging including logging of debug messages, info, warning and errors
- Supports suggestions of tags based on evaluation of content.
- Does not appear to support multiple taxonomies or remote taxonomies
- Incapable of cross-referencing multiple tags at once;
- No support for user-contributed tags;
- Categories stored in a serialized array format which isn’t compatible with client integration (including DataView) and will require special parsing if you write custom XSL wrappers for Web Parts (such as the CQWP).
- Does not support subscription to tags.
- Multiple web parts added to library; not all of these are intended for end-users (some are infrastructure parts intended for its management console).
- Does not provide an immediately obvious way to customize the location of its Taxonomy Administration website, which always appears at the top level.
- While category indexes can be filtered by a particular node, this node must be set via it’s unique ID. While easy to lookup, this is an extra step; being able to select via a tree view of the category hierarchy would be friendlier.
- While SharePartXXL offers the ability to replicate out an “Items Template” for the tag pages, it is only able to replicate list and web part settings.