StorageEdge by Alachisoft helps to speed up SharePoint by removing its storage bottlenecks and reducing database size and the transaction load. It accelerates SharePoint with caching BLOBs, lists, ASP.NET session state, and View State.
StorageEdge helps get better SharePoint performance with faster response times even as the number of users or number of WFE servers in the web farm is increased. SharePoint performance can be improved with a few of intelligent techniques. They are:
- Externalize Documents (BLOBs): By moving all your BLOBs out of SQL Server and into a file system or SAN/NAS storage, you will relieve a lot of pressure from the database. This will allow SQL Server to focus more on what it does best, namely to process relational data transactions. And, a faster SQL Server means better SharePoint performance with more scalability.
- Cache Lists and BLOBs: By using caching on lists, you would reduce the database traffic even further since most structured data in SharePoint is displayed as lists. Caching list should reduce lists traffic by 50-70% since most database operations for lists are read-operations. Additionally, by caching BLOBs in an extremely fast in-memory cache, you’re even reducing trips to the file server of SAN/NAS storage and improving your BLOB read performance greatly which improves SharePoint performance.
StorageEdge combines all the things discussed above and automatically improves SharePoint performance and scalability. Here is how it works:
- Install StorageEdge: You install StorageEdge on all the WFE servers. StorageEdge installs itself as web modules to SharePoint application and also configures an External BLOB Storage (EBS) adaptor. StorageEdge also includes an extremely fast in-memory cache (NCache) bundled inside it on the WFE servers.
- Configure BLOB Externalization: Through a web interface, you configure StorageEdge to externalize all your BLOBs. You can specify an external storage location which can be file system, SAN, or NAS storage. Cloud Storage is coming soon.
- Configure BLOB Caching: You also configure StorageEdge to cache BLOBs and you can specify for how long after which they’re expired (removed) from the cache.
- Configure List Caching: You also configure StorageEdge to cache lists that you feel are frequently used and also for how long after which they are expired (removed) from the cache.
- Monitor SharePoint Performance improvements: You can start using StorageEdge immediately and monitor its progress through a rich set of PerfMon counters. And, of course, you can monitor a noticeable improvement in your SharePoint performance with faster response times through your regular ASP.NET PerfMon counters.
Please visit product site for more information.