Reviews written by Jeremy Caney
|2 results - showing 1 - 2|
Top 50 Reviewer -
Integrates nicely with MOSS 2007
SharePartXXL is a product that I will be recommending to clients – especially clients who require (or may ultimately need) the ability for automatic categorization based on a pluggable categorization system.
- Linked taxonomy allows centralized management; tags can be moved or renamed and will be updated immediately in content.
- Master categories list appears in a hierarchically sorted format (based on path) making it easy to add new categories to the taxonomy.
- Supports import and export of taxonomies via an XML format, making it easy to synchronize with a master taxonomy schema.
- Parent categories can (optionally) be auto-selected during tagging process making it easy to implement an exclusive filtering model.
- Clever implementation of tag pages as sites for these benefits: a) a REST-like resource hierarchy for tags, b) inclusion of tag indexes in search results, c) ability to seamlessly integrate with SharePoint’s existing Site-based navigation hierarchy and d) exposure of built-in features such as alerts and RSS for tags.
- Centralized tag page template allows a site owner to customize the presentation and organization of tag pages in one place and publish out to all tag pages via a simple GUI-driven process.
- In standard view mode, automatically exposes category list as a “Related Items” field showing content related via categories.
- When selecting categories or viewing a category-based tree view, the count of associated content is always displayed.
- Provides a built in Taxonomy Administration site which includes a number of useful tools for publishing, synchronizing and recalculating categories across sites as a means of ensuring content and categories are always up-to-date.
- Category indexes can be filtered by a particular node in the hierarchy.
- Built-in logging including logging of debug messages, info, warning and errors
- Supports suggestions of tags based on evaluation of content.
- Does not appear to support multiple taxonomies or remote taxonomies
- Incapable of cross-referencing multiple tags at once;
- No support for user-contributed tags;
- Categories stored in a serialized array format which isn’t compatible with client integration (including DataView) and will require special parsing if you write custom XSL wrappers for Web Parts (such as the CQWP).
- Does not support subscription to tags.
- Multiple web parts added to library; not all of these are intended for end-users (some are infrastructure parts intended for its management console).
- Does not provide an immediately obvious way to customize the location of its Taxonomy Administration website, which always appears at the top level.
- While category indexes can be filtered by a particular node, this node must be set via it’s unique ID. While easy to lookup, this is an extra step; being able to select via a tree view of the category hierarchy would be friendlier.
- While SharePartXXL offers the ability to replicate out an “Items Template” for the tag pages, it is only able to replicate list and web part settings.
Top 50 Reviewer -
Solid tagging solution with basic taxonomy
KWizCom’s product was clearly built first and foremost for tagging, with taxonomy management thrown in as an extra bonus. As a result, implementers will likely get more features than they’d expect from a standard tagging solution – such as the ability to select tags from a list. At the same time, those interested in taxonomy management may be disappointed in limitations of the product, such as the inability to rename tags centrally, create tag synonyms or (easily) import tags from a standardized source via XML. Nonetheless, the product offers a number of innovative features that more full-featured taxonomy management applications don’t incorporate – such as the ability for tags to have multiple parents as well as support for multiple taxonomy definitions on a single site, including per list definitions.
- Features are described clearly on website; setup and configuration are intuitive.
- Support for multiple taxonomies, including list specific taxonomies.
- Tag subscription model, including customizable user alerts.
- Tags can be cross-referenced to multiple parent nodes.
- Permits user generated tags.
- Tags stored in plain text simplifying integration (filters, client integration, CQWP, etc).
- Case always honors centralized tag list, even if manually entered with conflicting case.
- All web part display formats consolidated into a single centralized web part.
- Web part reasonably flexible; allows customizing tag count, font size, link URL, etc.
- Web part tag menu supports multiple skins (built-in).
- Web part includes customizable template, style sheet and even CSS class “namespacing” (via custom prefix).
- Tag definitions can be scoped to the current site, the site collection or even referenced from a remote site.
- No ability to import lists from a hierarchical source (e.g., XML).
- No ability to auto-select parent tags in hierarchy.
- Users cannot modify tag details pages via GUI.
- When clicking on a tag with only one item, user is forwarded to that item. This is an inconsistent user experience and prevents subscribing to that tag.
- SharePoint's "quick filter" (in column header) does not allow filtering by individual tags.
- No checking for duplicate tags; allows a content item to be tagged with the same tag multiple times.
- No sorting of tags; tags always display in order entered by users.
- No built-in customization of tag display; tags always display as semi-colon delimited list (with no spaces).
- SharePoint filters are unable to distinguish between partial word matches and full words.
- Web part tag menu skins cannot be customized by developers to match site.
- Does not expose tag counts in Web Parts except as implied via tag cloud.
- Does not track the difference between user contributed tags vs. administrator added or confirmed tags.
- While there is a centralized tag list, tags are not linked to content. Therefore, if a tag is renamed, content is not updated.
|2 results - showing 1 - 2|