SPDocKit is a powerful time-saving application that allows SharePoint administrators to generate professional-looking farm documentation, manage permissions, compare farms, detect system misconfigurations and enforce governance policies. Your farm will be kept healthy and secure thanks to various built-in reports, and your documentation will be ready in just a few clicks.
- Generate SharePoint Documentation: To keep a healthy and well-functioning SharePoint environment, every administrator has to create a proper documentation file with all the farm, system and configuration settings. SPDocKit saves you hours of manually pasting data - it automatically generates professional-looking documentation in just a few clicks. The created document contains your complete SharePoint farm configuration and can be exported as a PDF, Word or Excell file.
- Analyze SharePoint Permissions: With SPDocKit, SharePoint permissions can be reviewed in real time without the need to load them. You can also keep a history of permissions changes and track them in time. Reporting on permissions can be especially difficult, but with our various built-in reports, it has never been easier or faster. Gain insight into which sites, lists, libraries and items have unique permissions, check out the permissions hierarchy and more.
- Manage SharePoint Permissions: Managing all user, group and site permissions from one common interface is now possible with SPDocKit. This tool allows you direct access to management options for all permissions. The simple built-in Permissions Wizard enables you to grant, edit, clone, transfer or remove individual user permissions. Groups are easily managed as well - you can manage group membership, and create, edit, rename or delete groups. You can also break or restore permissions inheritance, manage site collection admins and clean sites of unwanted principals.
- Audit Farm Configuration: The hundreds of different configurations for web applications, site collections, service applications and the other components in a SharePoint farm can be hard to manage. SPDocKit offers built-in reports based on the SharePoint community's best practices. Other than the predefined reports included in the product, the Best Practices reports can be customized according to your needs. Any report can be exported as a Word document.
- Compare Farms and Track Changes: The embedded snapshot service enables you to take periodic snapshots of your SharePoint farm configuration settings so that you can easily compare changes. You can take snapshots manually, whenever you want, or schedule automatic snapshots. You can compare different farms, changes in settings for a particular farm, and different web applications, site collections, permissions and web.config files.
- Enforce Governance Policies: The Queries and Rules feature allows you to enforce governance policies by implementing your own set of rules and running custom queries for a particular problem. You can use predefined rules but you can also create your own and implement them on various targets. The Wizard History has an overview of all previously executed actions, which allows you to track changes previously made by Queries and Rules.
- Monitor SharePoint Farm Health: This feature allows administrators to gather information about farm health from the Windows Event Log and SharePoint ULS logs across all servers. You can receive warnings about possible system misconfigurations, detect the time and source of evenet failures, and filter them using a target date range.
For a complete user experience of SPDocKit, a small but useful feature is also available - you can save scheduled reports to File share or SharePoint library.
SPDocKit provides flexible licensing according to the number of farms or consultants, so every company can get the perfect license solution that suits its needs. More details about licensing and editions are available here, where you can also find the 30-day free trial available for download.
I work as Independent Consultant, with several customers at the same time. And each of these customers has several SharePoint farms, with different features and services. And SharePoint farm documentation is always a challenge...
First, let me mention SPDocKit's licensing and installation: there're two licensing models, you can buy it for your own farm OR you can have a consultant license (like me). In this case, you're allowed to run SPDocKit on as many farms as you want, even without installing it! For example, you can take it and run on your customer's farm and generate a full farm documentation with a few clicks in minutes. It's more than amazing!
Second, the documentation it generates.
It helps a LOT, saves a LOT of time when you have to document (and/or compare) your SharePoint environments.
Documentation beats Conversation
I recommend this product to every organisation
As a consultant this product is an essential part of my tool set and gets implemented on all of my projects. It allows me to quickly document the work on new builds and helps me identify issues in existing ones. I love using this tool and can't recommend it enough.
Works great and priced right.
Solves the most boring part of a SharePoint Project.. at least for me.. the infrastructure guy. I hate doing the documentation at the end of a project, but luckily this does it for me!
You can also read more here: http://sharepoint-community.net/profiles/blogs/6614983:BlogPost:2367
Fantastic and Fair Priced SharePoint Documentation
As any SharePoint professional knows, SharePoint combines ease of use and the ability to change software to suit your business needs and requirements rapidly. That is the positive of SharePoint. The negative is the expectations that come on IT to be equally as nimble. That means keeping on top of the environment, controlling it and maintaining effective change controls.
Enter the importance of good SharePoint documentation
Documentation is critical to the success of maintaining a healthy SharePoint environment. And if you can maintain a baseline (being able to refer to changes over time), all the better.
Provide baseline capabilities so you can capture trends over time, including having emails sent to you when changes are made (take that tinkering admins who swear they didn’t touch the system!)
Would help with maintaining consistent settings (tracking changes, and comparing them) across your DEV, QA, Testing, Staging and Production Farms (And in small business land, we don’t have the luxury of that, so documentation is even more important)
As a consultant at the end of the SharePoint implementation I must deliver documentation for the farm, the IPs, name of the server, keys, edition, SharePoint specific settings, you name it.
It was a painful and boring c/p job because I needed to search through the SharePoint settings and write everything down in one document. Not to mention if somebody else reconfigured some farm and then documentation wasn't up to date.
Now the documentation is ready in few seconds, and farm differences or changes are detected automatically. I can choose the level of details that will be delivered to the client.
Not to mention if I deploy the farm that is not on the internet and then I am not able to access the farm from the outside and I need to check one setting. I can bring the farm information with myself and load it on my personal PC for later review.
Love the tool. Really makes my life easier.