Documentation Toolkit for SharePoint Featured
Documentation Toolkit for SharePoint is a powerful time-saving application that generates SharePoint farm documentation with just a few mouse clicks. It provides professional looking and standardized documentation, helps detect system misconfigurations and helps you improve SharePoint farm performance. Your documentation will be ready in few minutes and exported in Word document.
- Generate SharePoint farm documentation: After the installation of Microsoft SharePoint software on the server/farm, you need to create a proper documentation file containing system and configuration settings. It is essential for SharePoint administrators in order to provide support and maintenance of the installed environment. Complete SharePoint configuration can be exported as Word or XML file only, but individual categories can also be exported as PDF or Excel files.
- Monitoring: Allows administrators to gather information about the farm health from Windows Event Log and SharePoint ULS logs across all servers in your farm. This tool helps easier troubleshooting of issues in multi-server environments.
- Explore configuration settings (save product keys and passwords): Use it as SharePoint farm configuration explorer (application management, system settings, monitoring, backup, security etc.). An important part of the documentation are passwords and product keys, you have the option to enter them and decide whether or not to include them in the documentation file.
- Compare farms: Compare farms feature is useful in many situations including upgrade process to SharePoint 2013 or when you need to provision a new Development, Test, Production or Staging farm. You can easily save farm configuration (take snapshots) and compare it with the new one you are currently building. It does not really matter if farms are not connected or not part of the same cloud infrastructure or domain, comparison is made solely between the files.
- Track changes: The embedded snapshot service will make periodic snapshots of SharePoint farm configuration allowing administrators to easily compare changes. You can create manual snapshots anytime or automatic snapshots using wizard. You can receive email notifications when changes are made.
- Best Practices reports:SharePoint farms contain hundreds of different settings and maintaining all these settings is a difficult job especially when there is more than one in-house administrator or when a partner company is providing SharePoint services. Best Practices reports come in two flavours: built-in best practices reports and custom Best Practices reports that users can create on their own.
- Permissions Explorer: Allows administrators to easily create reports on the following: farm wide permissions, web applications permissions policies, site collection/document library/folder permissions. If it is necessary to submit a report to the responsible person, it is possible to export and print them for auditing purposes.
Task Viewer integrates information about all various tasks that are scheduled to run on SharePoint farms. Everything is integrated into a single calendar, providing a quick overview of all scheduled tasks.
One simple but very useful feature that is also available, especially for SharePoint consultants is Synchronization to SkyDrive, which enables you to always have all Documentation Toolkit settings and files handy.
Documentation Toolkit for SharePoint provides flexible licensing according to the number of farms or consultants, so every company can get the perfect license solution according to their needs. More details about licensing and editions is available on http://www.spdockit.com/orders and it can be downloaded for 30-day trial version.
Last updated: April 02, 2013
I work as Independent Consultant, with several customers at the same time. And each of these customers has several SharePoint farms, with different features and services. And SharePoint farm documentation is always a challenge...
First, let me mention SPDocKit's licensing and installation: there're two licensing models, you can buy it for your own farm OR you can have a consultant license (like me). In this case, you're allowed to run SPDocKit on as many farms as you want, even without installing it! For example, you can take it and run on your customer's farm and generate a full farm documentation with a few clicks in minutes. It's more than amazing!
Second, the documentation it generates.
It helps a LOT, saves a LOT of time when you have to document (and/or compare) your SharePoint environments.
Average user rating from: 5 user(s)
Documentation beats Conversation
I recommend this product to every organisation
As a consultant this product is an essential part of my tool set and gets implemented on all of my projects. It allows me to quickly document the work on new builds and helps me identify issues in existing ones. I love using this tool and can't recommend it enough.
Last updated: April 02, 2013
Works great and priced right.
Solves the most boring part of a SharePoint Project.. at least for me.. the infrastructure guy. I hate doing the documentation at the end of a project, but luckily this does it for me!
You can also read more here: http://sharepoint-community.net/profiles/blogs/6614983:BlogPost:2367
Fantastic and Fair Priced SharePoint Documentation
As any SharePoint professional knows, SharePoint combines ease of use and the ability to change software to suit your business needs and requirements rapidly. That is the positive of SharePoint. The negative is the expectations that come on IT to be equally as nimble. That means keeping on top of the environment, controlling it and maintaining effective change controls.
Enter the importance of good SharePoint documentation
Documentation is critical to the success of maintaining a healthy SharePoint environment. And if you can maintain a baseline (being able to refer to changes over time), all the better.
Provide baseline capabilities so you can capture trends over time, including having emails sent to you when changes are made (take that tinkering admins who swear they didn’t touch the system!)
Would help with maintaining consistent settings (tracking changes, and comparing them) across your DEV, QA, Testing, Staging and Production Farms (And in small business land, we don’t have the luxury of that, so documentation is even more important)
As a consultant at the end of the SharePoint implementation I must deliver documentation for the farm, the IPs, name of the server, keys, edition, SharePoint specific settings, you name it.
It was a painful and boring c/p job because I needed to search through the SharePoint settings and write everything down in one document. Not to mention if somebody else reconfigured some farm and then documentation wasn't up to date.
Now the documentation is ready in few seconds, and farm differences or changes are detected automatically. I can choose the level of details that will be delivered to the client.
Not to mention if I deploy the farm that is not on the internet and then I am not able to access the farm from the outside and I need to check one setting. I can bring the farm information with myself and load it on my personal PC for later review.
Love the tool. Really makes my life easier.